The gospel of Mark begins by telling the reader about 9 characteristics of Jesus as a leader. When you read the first chapter of Mark there are some distinctive traits of Christ that every team leader can learn from!
Here are 9 characteristics of Jesus as a leader:
1. Jesus was not self-promoting. (Mark 1:11)
2. Jesus was obedient to the Holy Spirit. (Mark 1:12-13)
3. Jesus cast a vision, with clarity, simplicity, and directness. (Mark 1:15)
4. Jesus was a strategic team builder. (Mark 1:17)
5. Jesus was a relationship builder. (Mark 1:19)
6. Jesus expressed control and authority as a leader, when needed. (Mark 1:23-25)
7. Jesus engaged crisis head-on. (Mark 1:30-31)
8. Jesus practiced daily prayer. (Mark 1:35)
9. Jesus was all about empowering others. (Mark 1:41-45)
These nine behaviors of Jesus were a strong sign of what he thought was important in leadership. These same points can enable any leader to achieve strong team development. The example of Christ is a powerful lesson for anyone in leadership.