Here is a simple question for any congregation: "Why do we exist as a body of believers?" For a church to be healthy there must be a clear understanding of their make-up.
Clarity of purpose in a church can:
- Foster concentration
- Encourage cooperation
- Create a positive spirit
- Generate enthusiasm
Few things will revitalize a discouraged church faster than rediscovering its purpose.
Church leaders can nurture healthy churches by serving as guardians of the church’s purpose when they:
- Constantly ask/answer the question, “Why are we here as a church?”
- Check the boundaries of the church’s activity.
- Major on effectiveness first and efficiency last. (Doing the right things, not just doing things the right way.)
- Seek clarity in the church’s goals and programs.
- Focus on the whole more than individual parts.
- Maximize the church’s strengths and minimize its weaknesses.